Thursday, September 29, 2011

 QA: Kiss (Quality Assurance: Keep It Simple Stupid)
By Lynda Lancaster

I must admit I had a hard time with the title of Lynda's book, only because I do not like using the word stupid. At the beginning and end of each chapter Lynda writes, “The more process there is in place, the higher the risk for error”. Reading the book gave me a better insight as to the usage of stupid. It reminded me of the advice I was given from a mechanic when I was buying my first vehicle. “If you don't need a four wheel drive don't buy it, it's just more to maintain and more to brake down”. Lynda's book has valuable insights as to why we need to simplify our lives. I loved her stories of the things she did as she was growing up. You can feel her frustration at being a women in the work force that is geared toward men.

As I was read Lynda's book I could not decide how to classify it, is it autobiographical, self help or philosophical. It is all of the above. She wrote it for a general audience, relating to business or life in general. Lynda feels it is autobiographical and philosophical.

The inspiration for her book came out of the frustration with the inability to start up small business in our time. Technology that is convoluted and complicated. Government boondoggle, wasting tax dollars. All of these things hinder the ability to entice and nurture the creation of small business.

This book would be beneficial to anyone, not just someone starting a business.

I have personally known Lynda for about a year and find her soft spoken, never condescending, warm, giving and interesting, to name a few. One of her bosses gave her the name of “Dragon Lady”. I asked her how she could be called Dragon Lady. Lynda was know for taking on projects no one else wanted, finishing them within budget and exceeding customer expectation. She got the job done with cooperative team work. Cooperation is the key word, competing against each other is not team work.

To conclude Lynda talks about the value of respect we must have for each other to be more productive. To love each other and celebrate our differences. I feel the need to stress we must “Celebrate our differences”.

The more process there is in place, the higher the risk for error.”





www.qakiss.com

No comments: